Friday, March 5, 2010

Deadly Little Lies


Sorry about the posting delay... my internet was having some issues with working, as in it wasn't. However, it's all fixed now!

Last fall, sixteen-year-old Camelia fell for Ben, the mysterious new boy at school who turned out to have a very
mysterious gift--pyschometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Camelia and Ben's romance began to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry, and experiencing her own strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have somehow rubbed off on her. Can the power of psychometry be transferred?

Even once Ben returns to school, Camelia can't get close enough to share her secret with him. Despite the romantic tension between them, Ben remains aloof, avoiding contact. Then when an unexpected kiss leads to a frightening argument, Camelia makes the painful decision to let Ben go and move on. Adam, the hot new guy at work, seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't. Adam is easygoing, and seems to really care about her.
But when Camelia and Adam start dating, a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events upturns secrets from Ben's past--and Adam's. Someone is lying, and it’s up to Camelia to figure out who—before it’s too late.
from amazon.com

Beth says 4 Stars...

Laurie Faria Stolarz knows how to scare the crap out of me. She has an uncanny skill with psychological torment that I keep coming back for (though I don't know why). This novel was no different; there were plenty of twists and turns to make me shake my head. The supernatural element was kept surprisingly minimal. It was always there, lurking, but never truly made its way to the forefront. I almost wish that it had a little more prominance, but I'm always all for more of the supernatural. The plot was interesting, but it was the thriller mentality of the novel that kept me going. It wasn't the most original, but I didn't expect the ending. Maybe I'm just thick, but it seemed to come from a completely different direction than I thought it would. I absolutely loved the creepy little journal entries interspersed throughout the book. They added an additional (and much needed) layer to the story, and also threw me for a loop when I actually realized their significance.

Something that isn't too thrilling about this book is the lack of character development. Yes, more information about the characters is revealed, but they don't really grow. They just stay in the same places that they started the book in. I guess I always expect more growth from series, but they have longer to work with the characters. I just wish that they would have gone somewhere different; they try to move on but can't.

Overall, this book is good, but nowhere near great. I found it fun and engaging without a lot of substance. You have to have read the first book in the series to really understand what's going on. If you read and ejoyed the first one go grab it, but if you're not willing to deal with freaky psychological stalking, run away fast.
Book from Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment