Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Paper Towns


Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.
from bn.com

Beth says 3 Stars...

I think that I may be the only person, but I didn't particularly care for this book. I just didn't see the point; everything went around in circles. At the end I felt like nothing had really moved forward and that we were at the same point where we started. I know that Green places much more of an emphasis on the characters, and they were good. Don't get me wrong, they were amazing, but just not good enough to compensate from the complete lack of forward movement that I felt. The true bright spot of the book was the dialogue. It was so quick, fantastic, and filled with a lovely wit. The one-liners were spaced throughout the book and brimmed with sarcasm.

I honestly can't really explain why I didn't like this one. I've read other novels where there isn't too much of anything going on and loved them, but somehow this just didn't strike my fancy. I know that most people really have enjoyed this one, but it just didn't do it for me. I'm having trouble articulating right now, and I apologize, but jet lag and I aren't best friends. Suffice it to say that for whatever reason I didn't love this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment