Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dead Tossed Waves


Gabry lives a quiet life, secure in her town next to the sea and behind the Barrier. She's content to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. Home is all she's ever known, and all she needs for happiness.

But life after the Return is never safe, and there are threats even the Barrier can't hold back.

Gabry's mother thought she left her secrets behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, but like the dead in their world, secrets don't stay buried. And now, Gabry's world is crumbling.

One night beyond the Barrier...

One boy Gabry's known forever and one veiled in mystery...

One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned.

Gabry knows only one thing: if she is to have any hope of a future, she must face the forest of her mother's past.
from carrieryan.com

Beth says 4 Stars...

I'd been looking forward to this book for a while, because I really enjoyed Ryan's first novel and wanted to support a local author. I was extremely impressed by the writing. It was so different from The Forest of Hands and Teeth stylistically, yet managed to feel authentic. Gone were the stilted phrases and antiquated vocabulary that set her first novel apart. Instead they were replaced by the remarkable realistic and angsty voice of an average modern-day teen. I was expecting a sequel at first, and this wasn't one at all. There were a few familiar characters, but this wasn't a true continuation of Mary's personal story. The burden instead falls upon her daughter Gabry, but I'll get to her later. The plot was interesting, but it took a little while to really get going. Being in a different place threw me for a loop and I had to get my bearings. I didn't really get the point of the story until I was significantly into the book, but one I found it it was great.

So now we come to Gabry... not my favorite. She wasn't awful, but she just kept moping and angsting. I understand that there were some intense and crazy things going on in her life, but seriously? When she wasn't experiencing a mood swing she was scared out of her wits. I have this thing for the uber-strong female main characters, so one that comes across as a little weaker rather irks me. By the end of the novel she had grown on me slightly, but will never rank high on my awesome list. The other characters were much more satisfying. I loved both of the boys in their different ways. I also thought it was interesting to see another side of the same world from The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I had a completely different sense of the things that had happened from Gabry growing up somewhere else. It really enhanced the world and story overall.

This really was a good companion novel. Even though the main character didn't rock even my shoes off, the story and enhancement of the world made it a worthwhile read. It's a different take on zombies. Also, I'm excited for the next book, because with this ending there has to be one. Things were getting insanely interesting... anyway, this is a fun series to offer an alternative to the paranormal romance for those who want something slightly deviant.
Book from Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment