Friday, January 21, 2011

Sapphique


Finn has escaped Incarceron only to find that he must defend his right to the throne from another challenger. His life and Claudia's hang on Finn convincing the Court that he is the lost prince, even though he has his own doubts about being the true heir.
from penguin.com

Beth says 5 Stars...

So I loved this book... so much. It was a very different book from Incarceron, which, although I adored the first novel as well, came as a welcome surprise. I always finding it irritating when authors simply sit on their laurels and make no attempt to improve the world that they already built. Again, the complexity of both worlds impressed me. I also found it fascinating to discover more of the prison's personality. Come on; it's totally awesome when a world has its own identity and can express it to the characters. Fisher managed to pull off some very layered interplay between the worlds effortlessly and even dropped a few hints about the ending. I found the plot compelling and thought that the different threads all came together satisfyingly. I didn't see one big part of the ending coming at all, but can see how it works when I think about it.

The characters remained likable (or not) and well created. Both Finn and Claudia irritated me every once in a while, but they were fine overall. Honestly, the characterization isn't the draw of the book for me. If they were absolutely terrible the book would be still worth reading because of the brilliant world building and plot. Since they reside of the realm of the non-spectacular (in either direction) I don't care terribly much. There's enough of a connection to make me care about the outcome, but not more than that.

Overall this was a great follow up to Incarceron. I don't think that there will be a third based on the ending, but if Fisher can come up with something I know that I'm game to read it. These books are fantastic and raise interesting questions about power and its use. If you haven't read these go buy them last week because they're fantastic.
Book from Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment