Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Girl, Stolen


Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?
from macmillan.com

Beth says 3 Stars...

There are some books that I just don't care for that much. I can't find any specific sort of huge flaw to point to, but something doesn't quite sit well. That's how I felt about this novel. Nothing was horrendously wrong or specifically lacking, but I couldn't connect with the book. The plot should have been harrowing and nail-biting, however, it wasn't. I could predict a lot of the major twists and turns, which sounds the death knoll for any type of thriller. I will say that the writing itself was fairly good, in particular when it described Cheyenne's view of the world. Instead of constructing a world to be seen, Henry created one from everything else. The detail with which she made the rest of Cheyenne's senses compensate for her lack of sight really was fantastic. I didn't really enjoy how the point of view switched back and forth from Cheyenne to Griffin; it interrupted the flow of the story without adding anything.

Cheyenne didn't have anything really spectacular that came through to me. She did have a vast amount of strength, but it somehow became disconnected. I did want her to escape and be okay, although it was just because I felt it was something good, not because of a powerful connection. The relationship between Cheyenne and Griffin simply creeped me out. Stockholm anyone? I couldn't move past my discomfort to see if what they shared had anything deeper or more profound.

Overall this novel didn't get it quite right. Something felt off throughout the entire thing. I couldn't quite put a finger on it, but I wasn't able to immerse myself completely in the world of the book. It didn't suck me in at all. This wasn't really one of my favorites and I wouldn't really recommend it.
Book from Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment