Hey all! Here at in BetweeN the pages we're excited to be a part of the book tour for Crush Control. We have an interview with the lovely Jennifer Jabaley the novel's author. We'll be reviewing the book this weekend (it would be sooner, but I have to move out of my apartment... so things are insane!), but as a preview it's super cute and funny. We hope you enjoy Jennifer's responses as much as we did!
What made you decide to write a book about hypnosis?
I was hit with a bolt of inspiration one night when my infant daughter wouldn't sleep. I thought, 'if only I could rock her, and say, you are getting sleepy!' Then I realized that the idea of hypnosis was really unique and interesting and, as far as I know, not yet explored in YA literature. So I began to think about the mind of a teen girl and what she would do if she had the ability to hypnotize people. The possibilities seemed endless.
Have you ever been hypnotized yourself or hypnotized anyone else?
No and no. But I did witness other people being hypnotized at a Las Vegas show.
What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done to make someone jealous?
Hmmm. I can't really think of anything I did to make someone jealous. I do remember however, a time when, because I was jealous, I took some extreme measures. A boy I liked (in high school) happened to comment that he liked curly hair which prompted me to get a perm. Ok, so maybe that's not extreme, but trust me, if you saw a picture, you'd realize it was not a good look for me :)
Style wise are you more like Willow, more sedate, or her mother, who loves her flash and sparkle?
I'm definitely more Willow. I'm a conservative, preppy, dresser. Maybe a little more girly or feminine than I imagine Willow to be.
If you could star in any Las Vegas show what would it be?
I'd love to be able to sing - especially well enough to fill an arena in Vegas.
Finally, favorite Cher song?
Well, after writing CRUSH CONTROL, I'll never be able to listen to BELIEVE without smiling, so I guess that's my favorite.
A big thanks to Jennifer for taking her time and being utterly delightful!
We are more than happy to review YA novels, however we prefer either physical copies or e-books via Netgalley or Edelweiss. If you would like us to review a book please e-mail us at email@example.com for more information.
Here is our rating system: One Star - Use as doorstop Two Stars - Bearable while on pain medication Three Stars - Read once, do not repeat Four Stars - Definitely keep it on your shelf Five Stars - Use as altar
So we've decided to join the challenge! This is just a preliminary list, and is definitely subject to change (we'll be doing a lot of adding as books begin to be released in order to get to the 12 we need!). Also, this is no order whatsoever. (if the book is in a color, it means one of us has read it!)
1. The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal
2. Human.4 by Mike Lancaster
3. Like Madarin by Kirsten Hubbard
4. The Emerald Atlas by John Stevens
5. A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford
6. Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
7. Hourglass by Myra McEntire
8. Never Sit Down in a Hoopskirt and Other Things I Learned in Southern Belle Hell by Crickett Rumley
9. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
10. Entwined by Heather Dixon
11. The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney
12. Possession by Elana Johnson
Fantasy Reading Challenge
1. Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl 2. The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal 3. Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin 4. Sapphique by Catherine Fisher 5. Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins 6. Glimmerglass by Jenna Black 7. Tortall and Other Lands by Tamora Pierce 8. Entice by Carrie Jones 9. Hourglass by Myra McEntire 10. Wither by Lauren DeStefano 11. Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr 12. Shadowspell by Jenna Black 13. Matched by Ally Condie 14. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Claire 15. Entwined by Heather Dixon 16. The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney 17. Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst 18. The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan 19. Possession by Elana Johnson 20. A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford 21. So Silver Bright by Lisa Manchev
Welcome to "in BetweeN the pages." This is a little project that we've started and we hope that it will allow us to engage in some lovely book talk. Here's a little about us-
Beth~ I have a feeling that I may have a problem. I adore books. I read whenever I can, and most of the time feel that reading a good book would be a much better use of my time than working on anything else. I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in chemistry and love science! I'm currently living in Finland while doing some research as a Fulbright before embarking on my PhD. Hopefully you will enjoy what I say... but I tend to ramble.
Nathan~ For me, reading is the ultimate escape. A good book is so much better than any therapist can ever be. I am, what many might call, a book addict. It may be wrong, but it feels so right to blow off my homework and sit curled up with a novel. It's the ultimate relaxation. Books have gotten me through school and all the drama that accompanies it. I hope that my humble opinions can help you as you continue your literary adventure.