Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Truly, Madly, Deadly


They Said It Was An Accident...

Sawyer Dodd is a star athlete, a straight-A student, and the envy of every other girl who wants to date Kevin Anderson. When Kevin dies in a tragic car crash, Sawyer is stunned. Then she opens her locker to find a note:

You're welcome.

Someone saw what he did to her. Someone knows that Sawyer and Kevin weren't the perfect couple they seemed to be. And that someone—a killer—is now shadowing Sawyer's every move...

from goodreads.com

Beth says 3.5 Stars...
I'll start off with a problem I had with the book; I spent the whole time I was reading the novel with the Savage Garden song "Truly, Madly, Deeply" stuck in my head.  Just like Impossible by Nancy Werlin had me humming "Scarborough Fair" there are some books that automatically become associated with songs.  However, the book and the song have no common sentiments.  The book is a mystery/thriller and tons of fun.  The main draw is the plot that moves at a quite rapid pace.  Sawyer finds herself drawn into a complicated web of violence and psychological play that she isn't prepared for.  The twists and turns weren't all that shocking and I found that I was able to figure out the culprit by the end of the book.  Although there were a few surprises, nothing blew me out of the water.  I will say that this is an extremely well-paced novel and I thoroughly appreciated that.

Sawyer was a decent character.  She's easier to relate to than many heroines because her reactions aren't always full of strength.  She freaks out quite a bit, which is understandable when someone is stalking you and doing unsettling things.  I will say that I like my leading ladies feistier, so that might be why I didn't bond with Sawyer as much.  Her responses are probably much more like my own would be, but I'd rather pretend that I would be all kinds of awesome instead.  The biggest issue of the book was the lack of depth the secondary characters were given.  They flitted on and off the page without making the substantial impact necessary.  Sawyer was the only character who really felt multidimensional.

Overall this is a fun book.  If you're looking for something a bit creepy and mysterious, you could do a lot worse.  It's a quick, page-turning read that will keep you involved until you reach the conclusion.
Book from Library

0 comments:

Post a Comment