Friday, June 20, 2014

The Chaos of Stars


Isadora's family is seriously screwed up - which comes with the territory when you're the human daughter of the ancient Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris. Isadora is tired of living with crazy relatives who think she's only worth of a passing glance - so when she gets the chance to more to California with her brother, she jumps on it. But her new life comes with plenty of its own dramatic - and dangerous - complications... and Isadora quickly learns there's no such thing as a clean break from family.

Blending Ally Carter's humor and the romance of Cynthia Hand's Unearthly, The Chaos of Stars takes readers on an unforgettable journey halfway across the world and back, and proves there's no place like home.

Beth says 2.5 Stars...
I have some very conflicting feelings about this book.  I've read several of White's other novels and thoroughly enjoyed them, so I was looking forward to this one.  The cover immediately pulls you in because it's just flat out gorgeous and by then end of the book does connect back to the story, something that doesn't always happen when the image is so striking.  The plot isn't that bad and I really like the idea of the story.  Imagine that the gods and goddesses of yesteryear are still among us and very much keeping their traditions alive.  It's a similar basis than Gaiman's American Gods had, but this book isn't quite as well realized.  The mysterious plot is highly underdeveloped and the pieces don't fall into some semblance of a place until the very last second.  The little interludes (I call them that because I'm still not sure whether or not they were entirely flashbacks or dreams) at the beginning of each chapter didn't really serve a point.  Most of the plot was spent with Isadora doing nothing of consequence and it dragged.

My biggest issue was in connecting with Isadora, as in I found it impossible.  I found her beyond irritating.  She's entitled, refuses to listen to others, and in general acts like an angsty spoiled brat.  Not who I want to read about.  Of course being sheltered all her life she doesn't realize that she's absolutely gorgeous, although she spurns all advances because of the impermanence of mortal life.  Enter the love interest, Ry, who tries to convince Isadora that she's wrong about love and life.  I liked his character and would have much rather spent time inside his head.  The problem is that everything is filtered through Isadora and her annoyingly pessimistic worldview.  She can't handle happiness and must find problems (or potential problems) in every situation.  I wish that the other characters had more time because I think more deeply developed secondary characters could have significantly improved the novel.

The worst part is that the idea for this book is so fantastic.  I love the thought and would give a book told from a different character's perspective (Ry, perhaps) a chance because I still think there's potential here.  Unfortunately, this didn't live up to my expectations.  Despite the pretty cover, this one's a pass.
ebook from library

0 comments:

Post a Comment