Tuesday, October 20, 2009

House of Dance


Rosie and her mother coexist in the same house as near strangers. Since Rosie's father abandoned them years ago, her mother has accomplished her own disappearing act, spending more time with her boss than with Rosie. Now faced with losing her grandfather too, Rosie begins to visit him every day, traveling across town to his house, where she helps him place the things that matter most to him "In Trust." As Rosie learns her grandfather's story, she discovers the role music and motion have played in it. But like colors, memories fade. When Rosie stumbles into the House of Dance, she finally finds a way to restore the source of her grandfather's greatest joy.
from harperteen.com

Beth says 4 Stars...
I picked up this book because I had heard good things about Beth Kephart from a friend. I love Kephart's prose. It is just beautiful. It feels like showering it with praise is ridiculous because it is lovely for its simplicity. Nothing is ever overstated; everything just falls into place perfectly. It felt as though the writing became like a dance, fluid and in motion, during the scences in the studio. The descriptions of everything were so vivid and brilliant. Everything about the writing was amazing. It was so striking; I just can't stop raving about how amazing it was. The plot was decent, but I didn't feel that it was extraordinary. It flowed very well, but I wasn't really drawn in by the story. It had a way of meandering and seeming to go nowhere for long periods of time. The characters were interesting, but didn't blow me away. I'm not saying that they were flat and did nothing, however they didn't leap off of the page. I think that everything else just pales in comparison to the phenominal writing. When I'm talking about the writing, I'm talking about how the words are fit together. They weave in and out of one another as a seamless whole, working together to create brilliant images. This is a book filled with love and learning how to live. This is for someone who wants to be moved while reading or just wants to read some breathtaking writing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment