Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ArchEnemy


The Heart Crystal’s power has been depleted, and Imagination along with it. The people of Wonderland have all lost their creative drive, and most alarmingly, even Queen Alyss is without her powers. There is some comfort in the fact that the vicious Redd Heart seems to be similarly disabled. Amazingly, she is attempting to team up with her enemy, Alyss, in order to reclaim Wonderland from King Arch. Alyss might have no choice but to accept Redd’s overtures, especially when she begins to receive alarming advice from the caterpillar oracles.
from amazon.com
Beth says 4.5 Stars...
I have really loved this series and am sad to see it end. The best thing about it is that it takes the Wonderland that we're all familiar with, and that some of us love, and simply turns it on its head. The characters hardly have anything in common with those from the storybooks of my childhood, but I appreciate that. Despite being different, I felt that this book did little to develop them and relied on what had been accomplished in the previous books. There was no more depth added to all of the different characters, which was very saddening. The characters could have become so much more, but that potential was never realized. This isn't to say that they were all flat and lifeless, because there was a great deal of roundness that came from the first two books in the series. I guess I'm harping on this fact because I hate it when authors rest on their laurels when it comes to character, because they, like real people, should be constantly changing. Despite this lack of change, the rest of the book was fantastic. I simply could not put it down. It was also really fun since I just finished working on a stage production of Alice in Wonderland to be reading and watching that at the same time. The plot was filled with action from beginning to end. I couldn't tear myself away, because it seemed like something new was happening on ever other page. There weren't long periods of dullness that made me feel like napping. I read it while I worked out, and it was so interesting that it made me stop thinking about how much my legs were killing me, which is no mean feat. Even though there were multiple plotlines going on at the same time it wasn't difficult to keep everything straight and see how they connected. I was enthralled by what was happening and thought that the climax was very interesting, and rather unexpected. I think that this is a rather fitting end to a really fun series. I'm sad to leave Wonderland behind, but it's time. If you haven't read this series you really should because it's a different take on a story we all know. Pick this one up for an action-packed conclusion to a super fun series.

Book from the library

0 comments:

Post a Comment