Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Little Black Lies


Sara Black is tiptoeing across a fraying tightrope.

As the new eleventh grader at Anton High–the most elite public school in the country–she sticks out like an old VW bus in a parking lot full of shiny BMWs. But being the new kid also brings a certain advantageous anonymity.

In Anton High’s world of privilege, intelligence, and wealth, Sara can escape her family’s tarnished past and become whomever she wants.

And what’s the harm in telling a few little black lies when it can lead to popularity? That is, until another it girl at Anton becomes jealous of Sara’s social climbing.

With her balance evaporating, one small push could bring Sara crashing down.
from amazon.com

Beth says 4 Stars...
I didn't particularly want to like this book. It was marketed as a neo-Gossip Girl, which is not something I'm too big on. Despite this I decided that I would take a chance, and it payed off. The characters were not in the least what I was expecting. Most of them had several facets, and were concerned with more than just who was partying with whom. I loved the school that they went to. Instead of a normal elitist high school, this was an elitist high school for nerds. I truly appreciated that. It brought more intrest for me than if it had been a school where the most pressing matter was what handbag was hot this season. I also thought that writing about Charlie's struggle with OCD made it much richer. There was another layer that added to charactersization and subplots. The plot was fairly interesting and moved along well. There really wasn't too much down time in this novel. The web of lies and deceptions was fascinating and gained complexity throughout the story. The writing was fine, but nothing extraordinary. It didn't blow me away and just served to move the story along instead of becoming a character in and of itself. Overall I thought this was a fun and enjoyable book. For those of you looking for some ever so slightly nerdy almost fluff this is perfect.

Book Given by Goodman Media

1 comments:

Cecelia said...

"Ever so slightly nerdy almost fluff" - that's an awesome description. I want it. :) Great review!

Post a Comment