Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who’s just walked in to his band’s show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City—and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.
This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be—and where the next great band is playing.
Told in alternating chapters, teeming with music references, humor, angst, and endearing side characters, this is a love story you’ll wish were your very own. Working together for the first time, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have combined forces to create a book that is sure to grab readers of all ages and never let them go.
ever from bn.com


Beth says 5 Stars...
I was skeptical of this book. Hmmm... this may become a theme: Beth is a skeptic! I'd read a few reviews, and it seemed that people either loved or hated the book. I put myself into the LOVED category! First of all, this book was cool. The kind of cool that we all wish we were, but aren't. The kind of cool that knows all of the right music and movies without even trying. This book is genius. It's extremely short and a quick read, but everything had some meaning. No words were wasted. A word of caution; there is quite a bit of swearing. However, even the swearing feels organic. The authors aren't writing swear words just to have them there; it honestly feels like that's what Nick or Norah would have said if they were real. What makes the book so phenomenal are the characters. Almost all of them are incredibly complex and layered. I feel like I'm gushing, but this book deserves it. From the wonderful two person narrative to the crazy plot and pop culture references, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist is a fun and fulfillinf ride that will leave you wanting more.



Nathan says 5 stars...
You know how some things just exude cool? Well, Nick and Norah goes one step further and is made of cool(I'm not kidding). This book is one of the greatest YA achievements of the last few decades. Rachel Cohn and David Levithan capture what being a teenager is in such depth that the reader is immediately sucked into the lives of Nick and Norah. The characters are phenomenally real. Something I love about the novel is that the authors were brave enough to write characters that were round and real, rather than the character sketches many teen novels have. The writing style is _____________(insert the most positive adjective in your vocabulary) and each sentence is a delight to read. The story is fast-paced, but still detailed which just adds to the frenzy of the couple's crazy night. As Beth said, pop culture abounds, and every little reference just adds to the depth and complexity of the novel. There is even a fantastic Heathers reference (note: everyone should see Heathers, dark comedy genius). There is some swearing in it, but it's not gratuitous and many of you will hear more swearing on a daily basis at school. There is only one major problem with this book...it's way too short.

P.S. - I beg all of you to not judge the book from the movie. The movie was an awful, awful skewing of such a fantastic novel. The book's 3-D characters were smushed into these flat zombie imitations of their written counterparts. The plot seems disregarded to a degree and some of the casting is off (though Kat Dennings could have been the perfect Norah). Read the book, skip the movie.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I've never read this book and I actually can't believe I've never read this. Now I have to go out and het it. Great review!!

Busy Bookblogger said...

I haven't seen the movie yet because I wanted to read the book first, so I'm glad I read this!! Also, your reviewing system is fantastic-I definitely could list some books that should get 2 stars!

Busy Bookblogger said...

OH! Sorry to monopolize the comments, but I just noticed Anthem was on your coming soon shelf, I just read and reviewed it because my students were working on it. Can't wait to read your review!

Unknown said...

Hmmm I didn't really enjoy this one, I thought it was a cute and okay read, but I'm glad you guys liked it :)

Post a Comment