Wednesday, June 10, 2009

ghostgirl

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

And if I should die before I awake,

I pray the popular attend my wake.

Charlotte Usher feels practically invisible at school, and then one day she really is invisible. Even worse: she's dead. And all because she choked on a gummy bear. But being dead doesn't stop Charlotte from wanting to be popular; it just makes her more creative about achieving her goal.

If you thought high school was a matter of life or death, wait till you see just how true that is. In this satirical, yet heartfelt novel, Hurley explores the invisibility we all feel at some times and the lengths we'll go to be seen.
from amazon.com

Beth says 4 Stars...
This book was fun. I enjoyed reading it. The biggest problem I had was that I was unable to really connect with the plot. It didn't suck me in; I was able to put it down. The characters were all fairly stereotypical, but that was the point. This book looked at all of the stereotypes that exist in high school and blew them up. The addition of death and coming back after death just made it more interesting. The concept was really great, but I just don't feel like it was realized to its full potential. Despite the shortcoming that I felt it had, it was still something that I found fun to read. The characters were all engaging, although at times Charlotte's single-mindedness was a touch annoying. They all played their parts perfectly, and really made the book enjoyable. This is a good read for those who like observing and poking fun at the stereotypes of high school. I can't wait to read the next book, which comes out soon.

5 comments:

Busy Bookblogger said...

I just finished this one as well and I felt similar. I definitely enjoyed the beginning but got kind of detached towards the end. Great review!

Kate said...

I want to read this. It sounds like an interesting read :)
Great honest review!

Donna (Bites) said...

I agree to an extent but I felt the book fell flatter than was intended. And yeah, there were many times I felt Charlotte got REALLY annoying.

Donna (Bites) said...

You have an award! Come see!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this book. I think a lot of stuff goes over people's heads because they aren't used to reading this kind of satire and witty writing, especially in the YA genre. The humor is off the chart hysterical and it's also an engaging profound story. Charlotte's single-mindedness is intentional.

I can't wait for the next one!

Post a Comment