Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hary Potter and the Half-Blood Prince + Movie Comments


Before we begin, we have a few housekeeping matters to attend to. Beth left Wednesday to visit her family in Finland. She's going to be gone for three weeks, but she has left plenty of reviews for me (Nathan) to post. Some of you may have noticed the random garble of letters and symbols posted on Tuesday. That was supposed to be a mobile post of this review and some things we wanted to see in the film adaptation. It obviously didn't work. I apologize profusely. Unfortunately Beth is the punctual member of the team, so anyone that reads this blog please hold me accountable for lateness! I do promise to try my best. That's quite enough of my ramblings-onto the fun stuff!

The war against Voldemort is not going well; even Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of the Daily Prophet, looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses.

And yet...

As in all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate -- and lose a few eyebrows in the process. The Weasley twins expand their business. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince.

from bn.com

Nathan says 5 stars...

After the angst-fest that is Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince is so refreshing. This was the first point that I truly realized that Harry's story (at least in print) was almost done. The end seemed nigh, and in accordance with the series, everything deepened and darkened. Well, that's not totally true- much of this book focuses on dating and relationships, which is a happier turn for Harry and cohorts. The core of the story lies really with Dumbeldore and Harry's lessons, in which the Headmaster hopes to reveal clues to Voldemort's past so that Harry can understand what he faces. It's another fantastic addition to this amazing series. Check below for movie comments.

As most Harry Potter readers (really readers in general) will tell you, the book is always better than the movie. A few things really bothered me, and a few things impressed me.

The addition of scenes was incredibly frustrating. It wastes time that could otherwise be used for subplots that are actually in the book. In the same vein, the deletion of an awesome scene towards the end ruins all climactic feeling.

This film moved fast-really fast. If you haven't read the series, many things will not be explained in full. It's all pretty easy to figure out, but your hand will not be held.

There is even more stylized cinematography in this one. The almost black and white footage in the cave was so impressive and appropriate.

The highlight of the film by far...Helena Bonham Carter. Her interpretation of Bellatrix is genius and her crazy laugh is spine-tingling. I'm seriously considering getting a shirt that says "I <3 Bella(trix)!"

Everyone go watch for yourself and post your opinions. Happy reading!

3 comments:

Cecelia said...

I personally thought Severus Snape stole the show. But maybe I just have a thing for Snape...(weird!)

btw, the last line seems like it cut off? not a full sentence?

BN Book Blog said...

Rickman was really great as Snape in this one. I just think that Helena is Bellatrix incarnate.

and ooops, not sure what's up with that line, but I'm going to work on it. It should say "I <3 Bella(trix)."

Donna (Bites) said...

I'm looking forward to the movie. OotP was rushed plotwise if you hadn't read the books, or so I've heard. I just don't understand why they cut stuff from the books in order to make time but add in completely new stuff to fill in the gaps. WTF? And I know the ending you're talking about. Another WTF? moment.

Post a Comment