Monday, June 15, 2009

Tears of a Tiger


Tigers don't cry, or do they? After the death of his longtime friend and fellow Hazelwood Tiger, Andy, the driver of the car, blames himself and cannot get past his guilt and pain. While his other friends have managed to work through their grief and move on, Andy allows death to become the focus of his life. In the months that follow the accident, the lives of Andy and his friends are traced through a series of letters, articles, homework assignments, and dialogues, and it becomes clear that Tigers do indeed need to cry.
from sharondraper.com

Nathan says 5 stars...
Sharon Draper wouldn't seem like an obvious choice for one of my favorite authors, but her combination of riveting story, intense writing, and non-stop action definitely put her in the list. I love her, so so much. If you cry easily, bring tissues whenever you read Tears of a Tiger. Tears of a Tiger is a vacuum of emotion, and the reader feels it deeply. The book is a quick read that is fully satisfying. This one is part of a trilogy, so reading them in order is advised. The characters are a bit stock, but Draper does a good job of rounding them into real people, but their classically defined edges are occasionally visible. Action deals more with the internal than the external, which I personally like. Writing is purposely a little disjointed and staccato, and it works very well for this novel. (Breaking the fourth wall, I'm aware that this review is also disjointed and staccato, and I apologize. Their has been a drought of reviews because Beth and I have been dealing with multiple graduations and technical difficulties. We promise to be better.) If you like realistic fiction, drama, or romance this book is definitely for you. Even if none of those genres is your niche, I urge you to give it a try. I'm a fantasy-centric, and I love this book deeply. I'm just saying-you may be surprised.

6 comments:

Erica said...

I almost bought this one today! I was at Half Price Books, but I put it back because I already had 12 books :P I wish I would've now.

Kate said...

This sounds like an excellent read. I've never heard of it before. Great review :)

a flight of minds said...

I've never heard of this book either, but it sounds really interesting. I'll have to find it and put it in my summer reading pile. Thanks for the review!

- Alex

Melanie said...

Is this the first part of the trilogy? It looks like a great read.

Shalonda said...

I am so glad you featured this book! Sharon Draper is also one of my favorite authors. Her writing is so real!

I met her once and she is just the sweetest! She took time to get to know everyone and you can tell that everything she says is heartfelt!

tiff said...

dis book is aweosome

Post a Comment