Friday, May 15, 2009

If I Stay




In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make - and the ultimate choice Mia commands.
from borders.com

Beth says 5 Stars...
I'm a crier. I always have been. I tend to sob constantly, and as I'm nearing graduation, it seems as though I'm about to burst into tears at any moment. This does have a point, because this book made me cry. A lot. Thankfully, I am of the belief that a good cry is beneficial, and therefore didn't mind the sobs that came with this book. The way the story is told is a bit strange, but works surprisingly well. Events in real time are mixed with flashbacks of Mia's life over the years. The flashbacks skip around her life, from the time of her brother's birth over seven years earlier to only a few months earlier. This makes the book sound as if it's fragmented, but somehow it remains connected. The stories flow into one another with an effortless grace. Mia is so easy to relate to, and so are all of the other characters. Her parents are so interesting and quirky, and Adam adds another dimension of realism to the story. The music also enriched the book and was a device to allow many different things to be revealed about the characters. I'm just attempting to convey how beautiful this book was. It was lovely and
poignant without crossing into the realm of sappy. This is a book that anyone can and should read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment