Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tithe

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms — a struggle that could very well mean her death.
from bn.com
Nathan says 5 stars...
This was the first dark faerie book I ever read. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly wasn't the hardcore, fast-paced, edgy, and eerie world that Tithe opened me to. However unexpected it was, I loved it. Kaye is independent and fierce, and honestly, I didn't think I could relate to her at first, but as the tough act peeled away, I found a deep connection with the character. The world Black paints is bleak and sometimes even disturbing, so be warned that this isn't for the younger crowd. The writing is wrought with beautiful and elegant description. The story is magnetic and dramatic. All of the characters are fantastic, and many are morally ambiguous, which only adds to the intrigue. I flew through this book and wanted more once it was done. I can't say much more except that Tithe is dark, sensual, and enthralling. It was a pleasure to read, and it made me a lifelong reader of all things Holly Black.

3 comments:

WhatBriReads said...

I loved this book as well :) Great review!

Melanie said...

I saw this book in a bookstore the other day, and I was wondering what it was about. It looks really cool!

Kate said...

Great review. I own Ironside and not Tithe. So I can't read it yet. I say own, I haven't returned it yet to the rightful owner.

Post a Comment